Intellectual, physical, emotional and social growth are valued equally. The teacher encourages, guides and constantly assesses the children, nourishing their growth into joyful, balanced, compassionate, competent, responsible, adaptive life-long learners.
A bit of History…..
During the last 115+ years, Montessori schools have opened worldwide. Alexander Graham Bell believed in Dr. Montessori; he supported her financially and wanted his grandchildren to benefit from her teachings. The first Montessori School in Canada was opened by Bell in 1912 in Baddeck, Nova Scotia, at his summer home.
Well-known supporters of Maria Montessori and her work include:
- Thomas Edison, famous inventor, founded a school and hosted Dr. Montessori during her early visit to the US,
- Jean Piaget, renowned Swiss psychologist, made his first observations of children in Montessori schools and was head of the Swiss Montessori Society for many years,
- Erik Erikson, noted anthropologist and author, was a certified Montessori teacher,
- Mahatma Gandhi, spiritual leader, spoke at the Montessori Training College in London, 1931 and they remained friends and supported each others’s causes,
- Lastly, our beloved neighbour from childhood, Mr. Rogers, was a huge supporter of Montessori.